“I gather together the dreams, fantasies, experiences that preoccupied me as a girl, that stay with me and appear and reappear in different shapes and forms in all my work. Without telling everything that happened, they document all that remains most vivid.”
—bell hooks, author of Bone Black
Registration Now Open!
It seems we’ve struck a nerve: So many women wanted to write in the Memoir class this fall that we’ve added a second series during the day. Plus we’re offering a special memoir-writing workshop with local author Tricia Booker. We’ve also got a 6-week Writing Through Transitions series, a new Book Club down at the Downtown Library, and a neighborhood workshop for the Riverside Avondale Preservation Society called “Stories of Home.” Not to mention, we’re doing a semester-long Art Show on art and memoir with the Artist Reception on Friday, Sept. 1! Hope you’ll join us. Register through links below or on our Meetup page for all programs.
- Friday, August 19, 6-9 p.m.: Private showing of the 2015 film Suffragette, set in 1912 England before women had a vote—and a voice. Co-sponsoring with Zonta International. Register.
- Wednesday, August 23, 6 p.m.: Fall Sampler 2017: Writing the Memoir, from Truth to Fiction, in Riverside (1 spot left)
- Saturday, August 26, 1-3 p.m.: New This Fall! Book Club Series at the Main Library (The Color Purple), in the Jax Makerspace
- Wednesday, August 30, 6:00 p.m.: Fall Series 2017: Writing the Memoir, from Truth to Fiction (ends Nov. 15) (wait list forming)
- Friday, September 1, 6-8 p.m.: Open House and Art Opening: Women’s Art as Visual Memoir (show runs through November).
- Friday, September 8, 11:30 a.m.: Writing Through Transitions: Life After Change (Sampler)
- Friday, September 15, 11:30 a.m.: Writing Through Transitions: Life After Change (Series)
- Saturday, September 23, 1-3 p.m.: Book Club Series at the Main Library (Their Eyes Were Watching God), Jax Makerspace