To register for upcoming classes, workshops, and special events, please join our Meetup community, where you can reserve your spot, get more information, and receive regular updates to upcoming events. To get started, please join here, or simply click on the event below that interests you.
Upcoming Events Spring 2018
Women Writing for (a) Change, Jacksonville, conducts regular tuition-based programs as part of its core curriculum, along with special events, workshops, and retreats. Come spend an hour or two in the company of interesting women in a relaxed and safe atmosphere. All are welcome, from experienced writers working on a project to first-time writers getting in touch with their writer self. Simply come to write in community.
- Saturday, April 7, 3 p.m.: Jax Poetry Fest. One-hour free workshop at MOCA to support Hope At Hand and the Jax Poetry Fest. We will explore themes of connection and spirit as we read poetry, write stories, and share our words in the setting of this lovely museum. RSVP on Meetup.
- Saturday, April 14, 2-4 p.m.: Open House and Open Mic at Women Writing for (a) Change, Jax. Please join us for this special event during the RAP Home Tour, including an open mic, tours of the She Shed, and a peek at our latest art show and bottom floor of this historic home. RSVP on Meetup if you plan to attend and read.
- Saturday, April 21, 1-4 p.m.: Write + Hike at the Jacksonville Arboretum, led by local naturalist Mindy Hawkins, with birding expertise offered by Jody Willis of the Duval Audubon Society. We’ll explore the many trails, watch for birds, and enjoy the stunning all-natural Florida landscape. Afterwards, we will hold a writing circle and learn fun tools for capturing your future nature adventures on paper. RSVP here.
- Friday, April 27, and May 25, 12-1 p.m.: Fourth Fridays at the Main Library, in the Jax Makerspace.
- Saturday, May 12, 2-4 p.m.: Spring ReadAround and Art Show Finale, with readings by our Spring writers and appearances by our featured female artists. RSVP.
NEW CLASSES: CHAPBOOK SERIES and SUMMERTIME RETREAT
Wednesday, May 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, and June 6, Chapbook Memoir Series. Create a chapbook from your memoir writings from the past two semesters or based on any work you’d like to collect into one document. We will select and craft our pieces, then bind them in a specially printed booklet. Guest book-printing consultant: Hope McMath, Yellow House. Guest binding consultant: Cheyenne Williams, Online Binding. Guest editor: Dr. Sharon Scholl. Register on Meetup.
ART + SOUL RETREAT
The Art and Soul of Summer: A Flowery Retreat, on Friday, June 1, 7-9 p.m., and Saturday, June 2, 10-5 p.m. Take a deep breath and get in touch with your creative soul. Enjoy a Friday night writing circle and reception, followed by a morning circle in the She Shed in which we explore the role of flowers in our lives and perhaps take a turn at arranging some! In the afternoon, we will head to the nearby Cummer Museum of Art for a walk in the gardens and artistic inspiration, followed by a writing circle about our experience. Choose to attend a group dinner afterwards to close the day in community. Register on Meetup.